Many a time our telephone will ring and the conversation goes like this: “I have had a builder round…” and we instinctively know what is coming after twenty-five years in the business. The main problem in the United Kingdom is that builders do not need to be licensed. So while a gas engineer has to have particular and precise qualifications, as does an electrician, a structural engineer, an architect or a chartered surveyor. Anybody can call themselves a builder. There is no regulation to say that you must be qualified. This is where the problem begins. A number of issues are quite common.
If you are having building works here are pitfalls to avoid:
- Ensure that the work they are providing as reference has been signed of and quantified by Building Control.
- Always obtain references from other people who have had work carried out.
- PLEASE BE AWARE JUST BECAUSE IT HAS PASSED PLANNING AND BUILDING REGULATIONS SIGN OFF DOES NOT MEAN IT IS QUALITY. We are going to say that again…..
- PLEASE BE AWARE JUST BECAUSE IT HAS PASSED PLANNING AND BUILDING REGULATIONS SIGN OFF DOES NOT MEAN IT IS QUALITY. THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. In fact it is so important we have said it twice.
- Make sure you have a written contract. There are a number of contracts available for building works or simply ask your solicitor to draw up a contract.
- Make sure that before you start your project you consult with a property professional. Our company provides a number of services https://www.surveys4you.co.uk/services/new-build/
- Make sure you agree staged payments.
- Make sure any additions or extras are included in the price, or if they are not then you must agree them in writing first.
- Many jobs go wrong because from the onset the job is not professionally orchestrated. It pays to pay a professional such as an RIBA or Chartered architect or a Chartered Building Surveyor to produce drawings and make sure that the works are carried to a good standard. It the building is designed correctly and professionally then the work should flow easily and be problem free. Many problems stem from poor design. The UK has a plethora of people providing computer aided design drawings calling themselves architects. You need to be extremely careful about who you use. It is worthwhile obtaining some consultation from a property professional. We also provide this service on how you building work extension is going to proceed. We do offer an initial ten minutes free on the telephone.
Isn’t it bizarre that our most valuable possession with the average house price touching £250,000 that we let an unqualified person interfere with it and potentially destroy our greatest asset?
More information of builders can be found in How to be a Smarter House Buyer available on Amazon